Latest Posts

Topic: No fish near fish breeder

cristiroma
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2023-11-25, 09:49

I found what I think it's a bug. I had a fisher near a fishing breeder which worked for a while then suddenly he reported no fish. When I looked at the fish breeder he reports the grounds are full.

I reloaded the game and later happened again. Here are the two screenshots https://imgur.com/a/qZWP3hG

Cheers!

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-25, 10:06

The problem here is that the fisher can't fish anything because the coast is blocked with roads. A fisher can't fish on roads.

The message about "no fish" should be changed in this case to something like "No spot for fishing found"? Any other suggestion for such a message, which explains this problem for the player?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
cristiroma
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2023-11-25, 12:07

Thank you for clarification and quick answer, it does make sense to update the message to properly reflect the situation as it's misleading now.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.2
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-11-26, 01:35

Does the breeder require 2 fishes to breed them? The message made me think that. I assumed he was bringing in new stock of fish!

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-26, 09:53

mxb2001 wrote:

Does the breeder require 2 fishes to breed them? The message made me think that. I assumed he was bringing in new stock of fish!

in previous versions he needed some fish left to breed new ones, but since a couple of versions he only needs some water where fish had been living previously.

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-09, 21:59

kaputtnik wrote:

The problem here is that the fisher can't fish anything because the coast is blocked with roads. A fisher can't fish on roads.

That is a bit counter intuitive. Since I assume the road isn't using up any space under water and that the water is still there together with the road: why does it matter what type of ground the fisher is standing on while s/he is fishing?

Edited: 2024-01-09, 22:00

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-09, 22:27

knarf wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

That is a bit counter intuitive. Since I assume the road isn't using up any space under water and that the water is still there together with the road: why does it matter what type of ground the fisher is standing on while s/he is fishing?

Actually real world anglers also hate it when you make noises around them and they avoid busy parts of the coasts...

Edited: 2024-01-09, 22:28

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-10, 07:07

tothxa wrote: Actually real world anglers also hate it when you make noises around them and they avoid busy parts of the coasts...

For some places, that does make sense to me. I mostly see what you describe for fishing around lakes, where it is usually quiet otherwise. On the coast, especially at spots where you can fish easily (where it gets deep rather quickly), the coast is quite rough, roads are somewhat elevated from the coast line and noise by cars is thus usually a lot quieter than the noise by the surf anyway. But heck, I am a landlubber, what do I know. face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-10, 07:36

knarf wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

from a game mechanics point of view the fisher only can go to fields with no blocking immovables. The road is one of our defined immovables so if a road is placed on a field that field is blocked. the same applies for other immovables so you can have the same effect if you have the complete shore covvered with trees.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.2
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-10, 23:52

Wow, trees too. I didn't even think of it. How about bushes and stones (not the quarry rocks) and other such "decorations"?

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote